Exceptional Orthopaedic Surgery
If you're searching for the very best in orthopedic surgery with all the breakthrough technology science can offer, you need look no further than right here in our community at Mount Sinai Hospital . Medicine can now grant mobility and pain relief to many people suffering from injured or aging joints or other parts of the musculoskeletal system. To answer our neighbors' pressing need for exceptional orthopedic surgery, we have built a premiere program that takes care of you at every step.
Diagnosing Orthopaedic Problems
Today's sophisticated imaging exams are the most accurate ways for physicians to “see” inside the body's musculoskeletal system. In addition to traditional X-rays, our orthopedic program relies on the technology of the hospital's radiology department, especially its Computed Tomography Scan, or CT scan (sometimes pronounced as “cat” scan,) which is an X-ray procedure enhanced by a computer.
During a routine x-ray, dense tissues can block other areas. The CT scans produce “slices” of particular parts of the body. Aided by the computer, a CT scan puts together the different “slices” and creates a three-dimensional view, clearly showing both bone and soft tissue. Magnetic Resonance Imaging, or MRI, which uses a magnetic field and radio waves to produce a highly accurate view of the inside of any portion of the body. Aided by a computer, MRI is able to produce cross-section images of bone and soft tissue from many different body angles or planes, for instance, from right to left, front to back, or upper to lower.
Treating Orthopaedic Problems
Once diagnosed, our orthopedic surgeons have a number of treatment options available to them-and to you-including:
- Fracture care. When conservative measures such as plaster and soft casts are not sufficient to ensure proper healing, our surgeons are able to operate and insert a range of plates, screws and rods made from state-of-the art materials to promote a return to full function. Our program has received the highest rating from HealthGrades for hip fracture repair.
- Partial and total joint replacements. Our surgeons can replace hips, knee and shoulders worn away by repetitive motion or the damage caused from osteo- or rheumatoid arthritis using the latest materials and prosthetic joints. They also employ minimally invasive techniques to use the smallest possible incisions, allowing for quicker recoveries and shorter hospital stays.
- Arthroscopic procedures. These newer techniques use tiny cameras and surgical instruments through very small incisions to repair areas such as shoulder rotator cuffs, knee ligaments, and damaged ankles and hips. By definition, arthroscopy is minimally invasive and many can usually be performed in an ambulatory setting.
- Hand surgery. The repair of hands is complex and requires delicate surgery to repair damage from fractures, carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis and other conditions.
- Care of the feet. In a multidisciplinary collaboration with our strong podiatric program, our surgeons often treat damaged feet that require surgical interventions.
- Sports medicine. In a comprehensive approach to keeping people active as they age, as well as for the more traditional effort to help athletes repair from injury, our sports medicine specialists keep patients mobile using a number of techniques, including fracture care, arthroscopy, joint replacements and other surgical interventions.
- Physical therapy. Working in tandem with the rehabilitation program, patients receive immediate physical therapy sessions post-operatively, get appropriate plans to return to the fullest mobility and function, and are offered seamless referral to outpatient follow-up therapy in convenient settings in the community.
Our elite team of board-certified orthopedic surgeons, radiologists, physiatrists (rehabilitation medicine specialists), podiatrists, nurses and technologists work collaboratively for the health of your musculoskeletal system and with a focus on your unique history. Furthermore, we offer a roster of first-rate general physicians who provide routine care in easy collaboration with our specialists. Our exceptional orthopedic surgery is enriched by the world-renown expertise and resources of one of the premiere medical centers in the country, the Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan.
Mount Sinai Queens
Physician Referral: 1-800-YOUR-MDs
Hospital Tel: 718-932-1000
25-10 30th Avenue
Long Island City, NY 11102