Since 2004, the Palliative Care team at Mount Sinai Queens has helped improve the quality of life for patients diagnosed with advanced life-limiting conditions and end-of-life care by planning for and alleviating suffering. Our service, which is available for hospitalized patients, consists of a medical physician and a social worker, both with specialized training in Palliative Care, who provide medication, counseling, discharge planning, and case management for patients and their loved ones. We incorporate a multidisciplinary approach to care that involves specialists across a number of fields, nurses, and religious or spiritual figures.
Serving Our Community
The need for Palliative Care services continues to grow in Queens as our population ages. Currently, our area has the highest number of nursing homes per capita in New York.
Our team is sensitive to the various beliefs and traditions in our diverse community and honors the ways different cultures view life and death. We partner with spiritual figures — including priests, chaplains, ministers, imams, and rabbis— from every religious background and provide translation services as needed. Our team has even advocated with foreign embassies for family members to be able to travel overseas to visit their loved ones
Our palliative care program consists of:
- Advanced pain and symptom management: Our primary goal is to alleviate suffering and ensure comfort.
- Enhancing communication through counseling and psychosocial support: Our team addresses patient/family psychosocial needs.
- Education on treatment options: Since Palliative Care is a multidisciplinary field, we are in constant collaboration with the patient’s primary care physician as well as any subspecialty clinician.
- Identifying goals of care: Together with the patient/family, we work to establish goals of care unique for each individual based on available treatment options and choices.
- Providing customized care services upon leaving the hospital: Our team works to obtain follow-up care by matching each patient with the appropriate post-hospitalization follow up services.
We Can Help
Here, at Mount Sinai Queens, we have an exceptional team of Palliative Care specialists that are available to assure the utmost care and comfort for patients and their loved ones. We pride ourselves in our philosophy of "dignity, compassion, respect, and comfort for all to ensure quality of life."
Hospitalized patients can contact us at 718-267-4345.
Palliative Care at Mount Sinai Queens
25-10 30th Avenue
Long Island City, NY 11102