1892 First Astoria Hospital opens on Astoria Boulevard. Mrs. Frank E. Hagemeyer is a major supporter.
1894 Doctors petition Hospital Board of Managers for more space. Public fair raises money for new hospital.
1895 Cornerstone laid on November 1. New hospital is built on Crescent Street.
1896 Astoria Hospital completed in April. Gala opening held May 4.
1898 The Hospital is forced to close due to lack of funds. The building has mixed use for the next approximately 25 years.
1910 Several former doctors from the Hospital attempt to revive it, but they are unsuccessful.
1917 John Francis Daly, M.D., a Navy lieutenant, graduates from Fordham University’s School of Medicine.
1925 Marie Daly, Dr. Daly’s wife, buys the Hospital. Daly’s Astoria Sanatorium opens. Babies are delivered here and patients come to recuperate from long illnesses.
1932 The incorporation is approved by the State under the name Daly’s Astoria Sanatorium.
1949 The Hospital is purchased by a group of doctors and changes its name to Astoria General Hospital.
1952 A new 3-story building is constructed on 30th Avenue.
1963 Astoria General Hospital is one of seven private hospitals to form the Queens Private Hospitals Association.
1964 By year’s end three additional floors are added to the 3-story building on 30th Avenue.
1972 A group of investors purchases the hospital and takes over its operation.
1985 An Ambulatory Surgery Center is built at 25-25 30th Road.
1988 The Hospital becomes a receiving hospital of the Emergency Medical Service.
1989 The Hospital opens the first center for Laser Vascular Surgery, the first such center in Queens, Brooklyn or Long Island.
1993 Astoria General Hospital becomes an affiliate of The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan.
1994 The Hospital changes its name to Western Queens Community Hospital.
1999 Prestigious Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan purchases Western Queens Community Hospital. It is the only community hospital to bear the Mount Sinai name.
2012 The Hospital will celebrate the 120th anniversary of the founding of Astoria Hospital whose building on Crescent Street would eventually become Mount Sinai Queens.
Our thanks to Mount Sinai Archives and Records Management Division of the Levy Library, writer Alice Hurley and the Greater Astoria Historical Society for research assistance.